Some people never grow out of their bully phase from high school and continue to spread terror as a way to mask their insecurities. How can offices deal with office bullies?
Bullies, no matter their age, tend to make work life tough (and rather annoying) for those they terrorize. When the bullying comes from a superior, it can cause real issues that interfere with employees’ personal lives. Their motto tends to go, “My way or the highway,” and they follow the Official Office Bully Code of Conduct:
- Be cold.
- Claim your own turf.
- Expect the world.
- Never say “thanks.”
- Be condescending.
- Never recognize achievement.
- Be selective.
- Manage your way.
- Be divisive.
Office bullies have no real place in the work environment and can cause legal issues without small business insurance in Bedford. Here are a few ways they can be dealt with.
- Acknowledgement. Employees must recognize that they are being bullied and that it is unacceptable behavior.
- Two heads are better than one. Employees can consult with a trusted friend, colleague, or senior member of the company and let him or her know what has been going on.
- Self-preservation. The impact of bullying can affect the health and stress levels of those being bullied. Employees should know that this behavior is completely unacceptable.
- Building a case. This can help gain clarity for any supervisors considering the claim and can serve as proof should they require it. Transparency is key, and employees must be clear about the behavior the bully has exhibited.
- Action! Employees must be careful as to not slide into the tactics of the bully. Calm, level-headed emotion is the best way to win the case. The book I Hate People has this advice: “The next time the bully swears… call it out. Point out that he’s swearing or yelling, and leave the room. By making statements about his conduct, you’re putting them on notice. The [bully] will tire of spinning his treads in the sand.”
There can be many liability issues that come from bullies in the office that your clients should know about. Small business insurance in Bedford can help deal with these issues.
At PMC Insurance Group, we can supply the perfect small business insurance in Bedford and can help put the proper policies in place to protect any business from the dangers of bullies and aggressors. To learn more about getting competitive coverage for your small business clients, contact us today.